Friday, October 14, 2011

Sickness Dreams

I am asleep. I am sick. I am dreaming horrible dreams. I see myself standing, with a line of my loved ones and friends stretching out in front of me. I am to choose their fate, will they live or die. I see myself choose death, for all of them, watching myself, I feel horrified, not only because I am capable of such an act of evil, but my pure emotionless regard of the lives of my friends and family. I simply did not care. They will all die.

I break away from the dream and awake.

I am sweating, I am sick. I remember now. My neck is sore. I have a fever. My head pounds. I see my brothers getting ready for school, my mother walks past and tells me to go sleep in bed, so I don't infect the couch with my sickness. I try to fight the sleep, my fever takes hold and I am asleep again. Back to the dream.

I let someone live. I am unsure who. I feel emotion for the first time. Happiness in seeing them. Then the queue moves on, and I sentence another to their death. Why is it up to me? Why must I decide who lives and who dies? More come, I am scared. I don't want to be like this, I try and shake off the dream.

I awake again. I am scared.

2 comments:

  1. This is pretty powerful, if not kind of morbid. The writing flows beautifully though, and the use of short sentences just creates a fantastic pace when reading.
    Kudos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'd actually forgotten I'd written this.
    It was terrifying, this dream.
    I woke up scared.

    ReplyDelete